While it is fun to create our own magic– sometimes it is nice not to constantly recreate the wheel. There are so many excellent materials out there that kids (and adults) absolutely love but sometimes it is hard to uncover them. I wanted to share where I get my inspiration and what materials I use the most often in my classes.
- The Laurie Berkner Band is where it is at. The website is awesome, there are more versions on YouTube, she has an app, and thank goodness for Spotify to have her songs in one place. “The Goldfish (Let’s Go Swimming)” never seems to get old for the kids.
- Kira Willey is an all-time favorite. If you want to see peaceful kids just tune into her Mindful Moments for Kids album and get a copy of the book.
- With my infants and toddlers, we start our classes with singing and signing Mr. Sun.
- Fly like a Butterfly is such a relaxing tune that the kids love to gracefully flap along to and of course share what color of butterfly they are.
- These suggestions from Yoga Ed are my go-to songs for relaxation.
My YouTube, Spotify, and Pinterest channels are not in a very mindful state currently. I will tidy those up and share them with you soon.
Story Time Ideas
I don’t know why I didn’t think of becoming a children’s librarian earlier in life. Books are my everything and the number one way I like to interact with children.
- Jbrary is such an incredible resource. They have great book suggestions on their blog and their YouTube channel is a goldmine. I love that they provide the lyrics to their songs and where they found them so you can learn about other resources.
- Storytime Out Loud has a podcast and I love that they have short episodes where they sing the songs and chants they use. I am always happy to see their Instagram posts.
- Yoga Ed’s had some of the best lesson plans I have seen for kids. Check out their streaming videos.
- Who doesn’t love Cosmic Kids? While I had already taken two children’s yoga trainings by the time we moved to Switzerland I had been a big fan of Jamie and had some time so I also took her training as well. It is incredible that they offer their videos for free!!
The sun is out and it calling my name. I will be back soon with more of the concepts that are working best in my classes currently.